November 12, 2013

[Guest Post] Mel recommends some books for you holiday wishlist!

A note from Shelly: I totally agree with some of these picks and I even have some of them currently in my room that I need to read so definitely check these out and don’t waste this awesome opportunity! And a big thanks to Mel for writing this awesome post. Go check out her blog, right now!

Hello guys! I’m Mel from The Daily Prophecy and you might know that I’m a huge fairytale fan. So when I saw that Shelly was looking for guest posts, I immediately knew what I wanted to show you guys. I want to share you my top 5 fairytale books you definitely need to put on your Christmas wishlist!

clip_image002

From all the fairytale books I’ve read so far, this has to be one of my favorites. Jodi Lynn Anderson – Tiger Lily is an heartbreaking retelling of Peter Pan. It’s told from Tinkerbell’s POV and that works great for this story. This book touched me with it’s beautiful writing-style, romance and characters. This is a new way to look at Peter Pan and I promise you, you won’t regret it!

“And I never expected that you could have a broken heart and love with it too, so much that it doesn't seem broken at all.”

clip_image004This series is popular, but I need to include it in my list.
Marissa Meyer – Cinder and Scarlet. This series showed me that I can enjoy sci-fi books. It incorporates all the things I look for: originality, kick-ass main characters, swoonworthy boys, action, romance and friendship. It always reminds me of Harry Potter, because every little piece slowly falls together to form a fantastic plot. I was also lucky enough to read Cress and let me tell you, the quality of this series is amazing.

“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

clip_image006

This is a book I recently finished.
Anne Ursu – Breadcrumbs is a MG and many people don’t read those, but please consider this one. It blew me away. This book is about Hazel and Jack. They have the best friendship you can imagine, until Jack changes. Hazel embarks on a quest to get her friend back and I loved it. Hazel is a sweet, lonely girl I instantly connected with. But what touched me the most is the beautiful writing-style.

”He was the only person who saw things for what they could be instead of what they were. He saw what lived beyond the edges of the things your eyes took in. And though they eventually grew out of Wonderland Artic space-people tea parties, that essential thing, remained the same. Hazel fit with Jack.”

clip_image008

If I have to name one of my favorite authors, Juliet Marillier is one name I would think of. She has written several fairytale retellings and I would recommend them all, but if I was allowed to pick one it would be Daughter of the Forest. I’ve re-read this book several times now and I love it every time all over again. There is something magical about the world she creates and her Celtic additions are wonderful.

“You will find the way, daughter of the forest. Through grief and pain, through many trials, through betrayal and loss, your feet will walk a straight path.”

clip_image010This book doesn’t get enough attention if you ask me.
A.C Gaughen – Scarlet  is the first book in a series about Robin Hood. Be prepared to meet sassy, sarcastic and brave Scarlet, one of the members of Robin Hood’s team. There is much action in this book and I loved Scarlet’s background story.

"You do not get to be some goddamn martyr, you hear me? You are a pigheaded, stubborn, stupid boy and you are not going to put more people in danger."

clip_image012And just because I can, I’m going to include this book.
Bridget Zin – Poison is not an official fairytale retelling, but it did remind me of one. It’s such a feel good story about a poison master Kyra, an adorable pig named Rosie and a sweet (adorable and funny) boy who captured my heart. Kyra failed at her attempt to kill her best friend, princess Ariana, and she must try to finish her job. The only problem is, Ariana has disappeared. On her quest she meets Fred and she can’t get rid of him.

“Okay, that one's pretty good," Fred acknowledged, after she'd told him a particularly filthy joke. "But have you heard the one about the baker's wife?"
"No," Kyra said.
"Rumor has it, she married him for his buns." Fred burst out laughing.
Kyra groaned. "Okay, that was just bad.”

So, that’s it. Have you read any of these books? Have you read any of these? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Scarlet and Cinder are both on my tbr list. I own Cinder now, but Scarlet could definitely be something for me to add to my wishlist! Thanks for the recommendations =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel knows what she's talking about when it comes to fairy tale retellings! Out of these, I've actually only read Cinder (and completely agree with the choice and reasoning), but they all sound pretty fantastic. I think I would especially like Scarlet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these are fabulous recs! As Mel knows, I love the idea of fairy tale retellings, too, but they aren't always well done. I totally agree with her picks for TIGER LILY (even if it's filled with lies about Wendy), CINDER, BREADCRUMBS, and POISON, though, so I will have to check out the others. I actually have most of them, just haven't had a chance to read them yet. Great post! Thanks ladies.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!